Thursday, July 02, 2015

Life After Facebook

I seem to have missed the memo stating that, in order to be friends in life, we need to be friends on FB. I don't consider FB to be real life -- I consider it to be a diversion, a time waster, a source of news sometimes and a joke most of the time. I have friendships with people who are not on FB and I have many friendships that pre-date FB. I constantly revise and update my friends list there. Sometimes I cut people who don't post very often. Sometimes I cut people who I don't hear from very often. Sometimes I cut people I don't really know. Sometimes I cut people who are simply friends of friends. Sometimes I cut people who post uninteresting stuff. Sometimes I cut people who piss me off. And sometimes I get cut. Being unfriended doesn't bother me. I know who my real friends are, whether on there or not. And being unfriended by me normally doesn't elicit much of a response from most people but sometimes I get it wrong and people take it personally. I don't intend it to be personal but it gets interpreted that way. For that, I am truly sorry. For that reason (and a few others), I am taking a break from FB and will be deactivating my account. If you want to reach me, my email address remains active. If you have that, you also have my phone numbers. Call me, send me a text or an email. I'll be around, looking forward to hearing from you soon.

No comments: