Monday, April 17, 2006

PVR to YYZ

My last day in Vallarta was a flurry of activity. After returning the modem to CosmoRed, I returned home to try to get some rest while waiting for a friend to come over to pick up the stuff I was selling to him and his wife. Basically, they bought everything I couldn't fit into two boxes and four suitcases. I expected him by 4PM at the latest but I asked him to come earlier, if possible. At 3PM my doorbell rang but it was Heidi, who was out for one last shopping excursion, and hoping to have lunch with me. We left a note for my friend and headed over to Machi's BBQ.

For some reason, I wasn't feeling all that great. I might have been a wee bit hungover from my over-indulgences the night before at Vista Grill. In any event, I figured a cheeseburger, fries and a Coca Light might help my stomach and it did. Turns out I was just hungry after all. My friend found us there and after lunch, he and I headed back to my place to load up the car. Unfortunately, he grossly under-estimated the amount of stuff I had for him. Thankfully, his friend showed up with an SUV and everything fit inside the two vehicles.

Now I was really ready for a siesta but my neighbours had other plans for me. I had given a large bag of gently used clothes to them and they insisted on serving me lunch. I tried to decline but they both looked so crestfallen, I agreed to eat again. They served me fish, shrimp and steamed veggies. It was a wonderful lunch even though I couldn't finish it. We talked about many things, all in Spanish, and I was surprised to learn that they are both in their mid-40s. They are both so sweet but with very difficult lives. Mexico is not kind to older women without families to help them.

I decided it was just a lack of sleep and anxiousness giving me the knot in my stomach so I wanted to relax prior to my final night in Vallarta. To be honest, I would have rather stayed home until it was time to get up and take my flight in the morning but the Goddesses had other plans for me. I met them and Scott at the condo for sunset drinks and then we strolled over to Boca Bento for dinner. Frankly, I was a little disappointed with dinner but, to be fair, I wasn't feeling all that great. We decided on a nightcap at La Noche and then Scott walked me part way home.

Home at last, I finished packing, wrote notes to be delivered in the morning and then tried to sleep, knowing I had to get up at 6:30AM. My alarm woke me up and then I packed it. I showered for the last time, got dressed and walked to Cafe du Soleil for breakfast with Ben and Amy. I was the only one in the cafe for the half hour I was there so we had a nice visit before more goodbyes and my trip to the airport. My neighbour ladies came through for me again, waking up early to help me get my bags down the stairs and into the taxi. The driver was older, friendly and helpful with the two big suitcases. I gave him $120 pesos for an $80 peso fare and his huge smile was my reward. The luggage porter also warranted a large tip as he waited patiently with me inside the airport while they wrote up my ticket.

The Goddesses arrived after me and I transferred one bag each to Heidi and Rose, so that we would all be checking the limit of two bags each. I knew I far surpassed the 44 lbs. stipulated by the airlines but since the flight wasn't full, they didn't weigh a single one of our bags. What luck! The check in process was easy and we didn't spend more than 20 minutes in total for the whole procedure. Once through to the boarding area, we sat around, chatting and occasionally wandering off into the various duty-free shops in the departure level. Eventually our flight was called and we boarded the flight. The four of us shared six seats, one row behind the other with a space in between. Very comfortable and relaxing ...

As the plane readied for take-off, I happened to look out towards the tarmac to see the ground crew waving goodbye to us. Only in Mexico ... *smile* I felt no sadness at all as the plane lifted off the ground and surged out over Banderas Bay. My last view of Vallarta was picture postcard perfect. The sun was beating down on the sparkling blue water of the bay, with the green mountains acting as a backdrop to the city below. I held hands with Heidi and Rose, my heart beating very hard in my chest and then, the vista was lost when the plane banked to head north. I slowly turned my gaze away from the window and looked forward.

For my adventures in Toronto and beyond, go to my new blog, Metro Goddess.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Best wishes to you, Julianna, on returning home. It does sound like it was the right decision for you. Must say, I have loved every minute of your PV blog and I shall miss it. On the other hand, I am loving your new one as well (I was laughing so hard the other night reading your waxing blog on metro-goddess.blogspot.com that I woke my DH). Thanks for sharing this fascinating experience with us. It's been fun!