Thursday, April 13, 2006

Good Bread, Great Washrooms

My friend Rose has unique criteria with which to judge a restaurant. I've tried to apply it to the following restaurants. It seems that lately, we've been very lucky with our choices.

1. Sunday Night - Espresso/Como Pizza. I can't believe the girls have never eaten here before! The spagetti and lasagna were a delight and the service was great. Reasonably priced. Excellent garlic bread with real garlic! Washrooms upstairs.

2. Monday Night - Super Pollo. We usually dine in one night but I decided we needed a change of location so I invited us over to my friend Scott's place. We brought the chicken, potatoes, fresh bread and wine. Plus, I made my homemade caesar salad. Other than the salty potatoes and the 10,000 stairs up to his place, the evening was a huge success! And we invented the Scooter Shooter ... vanilla vodka (Stolly please!) and a bit of Kahlua over ice. YUM! We bought whole wheat baguettes at Rizo's and I think they are created at Collin's Bakery on V. Carranza. Scott has two bathrooms, both tastefully decorated.

3. Tuesday Night - Encanto. This was a last minute decision since we decided to dine late and in my 'hood. I've been a couple of times before but was never overly impressed with the food but LOVED the way the restaurant looks. Heidi said she wanted someplace quiet so Encanto was a perfect choice. She calls the decor "shabby chic Mexican". I had the house special: chicken breast rolled with goat cheese, spinach and mushrooms. The green sauce served with it was divine. Bread selection consisted of homemade hot rolls made with spicey seasonings and cream cheese. Bathrooms are modern, clean and funky.

4. Wednesday Night - Vista Grill. All I can say is, if you haven't been to Vista Grill, what the hell are you waiting for??? We had drinks before dinner, a bottle of wine with dinner, appetizers (3) and entrees (3), plus an after dinner drink for only $2400 pesos including the tip. It was worth every single peso. The view is amazing. Dining at Vista Grill is an event not to be missed. Splurge! You're worth it ... We all decided we want to LIVE at Vista Grill. The bathrooms are fabulous; the wine "cellar" (actually a glassed in main floor cooler right in the restaurant) impressive and I could live on their bread and wine. Rose gave this two thumbs up!

For our last night, we've chosen Boca Bento. It was a favourite of our's last year so we've been saving it for the end of GCV. I like the owners, know the manager very well and love the bar area. If you think you can't afford to eat at Boca Bento, think again. They have a daily happy hour between 5 and 7PM on food and drinks.

I've never eaten so well or so often as I do when my girlfriends are here. Each meal brings new sensations, flavours and emotions. These are the kinds of memories that last forever ... or, in case we forget, Heidi has it all on her new digital camera.

BUEN PROVECHO!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Encanto - the spotty offerings are more than made up for with the service and charm. We raved about the cream cheese filled buns and they packed 6 to go for our breakfast next day (no charge)

Vista Grill is our new favourite, replacing The River Cafe and Le Bistro. We drop into the Cafe for a drink now to hear their entertainment.
Keith Cowan