Thursday, April 13, 2006

Last Post ... Maybe

I woke up this morning at 4:45AM with a severe case of heartburn and/or insomnia. Can you actually develop insomnia after sleeping for five hours peacefully? Something woke me up -- probably a combination of stomach butterflies and my mind going 90 mph, trying to remember everything I have to do today. Yesterday I actually put some stuff into suitcases. I'd been putting it off, thinking to myself, "How long can it take?". Well, my two suitcases for clothes were overflowing BEFORE I picked up the clean laundry. *sigh* I just need to organize them a little better.

I've been siphoning off pieces of my life for friends, giving away little momentos of my PV existence. So when you sit on the couch at Cafe du Soleil and lean on those brightly, striped pillows, think of me! *smile* My friend Angie got new fluffy blue towels and after purging my massive collection of lipsticks (did I really think they wouldn't have any here???), I've got an impressive selection for my neighbour ladies.

So as my life in Vallarta winds down, I keep trying to think of something profound to write and I'm coming up with zilch. My experiences here have been happy, sad, frustrating, enlightening, blessed and cursed. I guess that's the way these things go. I am anxious and excited to be returning to Canada. I could say that I've learned a lot about myself but the fact is, I had a strong sense of self before I came down here.

I am not richer in a monetary sense but Iam definitely more "flush" when it comes to redefining my path in life. For the moment, the journey is taking me back to my roots and I keep getting positive reinforcement of that fact. The job market looks extremely promising in Toronto and my accomodation arrangements are almost finalized. All of that, in itself, proves to me that I am going in the right direction.

I'm not sure when I'll return to Puerto Vallarta, if ever. Things are changing here and I don't like a lot of what I see. Some of my friends are thinking of leaving. Others have left and are not coming back. But I definitely want to re-visit Mexico one day. This is a great country, with wonderful people and a vibrant history. I just wish that the country as a whole would develop to the point where social and environmental issues could take precedence over everything else. One day ... maybe.

No comments: